[linux-dvb] Low symbol rates on FF DVB cards

w-thiel at gmx.net w-thiel at gmx.net
Wed Dec 7 19:52:26 CET 2005

Hi Klaus,

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 06:22:48PM +0100, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Did so, but the result was (at best) an intermittent video full
> of artefacts, with only some fragments of audio. Interestingly
> it didn't make much difference even if I changed the srate to values
> even further away from 2893. Only after going like more than
> one hundred away did I get nothing at all.

This sounds very strange to me: my ALPS BSRV2 (FF rev. 1.3) is very
unhappy with a SR off by one on low symbolrates.
Perhaps, you should try szap to find out when you get a lock, and when
not. Or vdr with femon.

The reported symbol rates on lyngsat etc. are very often a bit too
low for channels with a wrong/missing NIT: I think these infos often
come from dbox1 with DVB-2000 users with the "good tuner" (auto-sr):
the reported SRs of the dbox1 are usually a bit lower than what they
actually are.

But: I can say that the tuner of my SS-2.6B is much better in handling
low symbol rates than the FF 1.3: the 1.3 will work on low symbol rates,
but only on strong signals (and the frequency should be entered correct-
ly, taking into account the offset of some lnbs.)

Wolfgang