[linux-dvb] DVICO DVB-T Lite with Philips 1236D tuner. What now?

Rodd Snook linuxdvb at snookums.port5.com
Sun Feb 20 20:45:40 CET 2005


Okay, so I picked up a DVICO Fusion DVB-T Lite for "cheap" the other day
and I can't get it to work.

The short story is that this is a "Rev: 1.1" card, and it has a Philips
1236D ATSC/NTSC tuner, rather than the Thomson which seems to be assumed
by Chris Pascoe's driver. Any attempt to insert the module gives
(eventually)

dvb-bt8xx: A frontend driver was not found for device 109e/0878
subsystem 0000/0000

Using Windows, everything is detected (which is how I know about the
Philips tuner), but I can't get a signal or a picture (could be because
I wasn't using a good aerial and have an unsupported gfx card).

Read the long story below for dmesg output and such.

I'm working on the assumption that the card is not broken, but that the
driver needs to be modified to work with this hardware combination. The
card still uses an MT352 (I can see the chip). I'm not much of a kernel
hacker, so I don't know how to go about working around this myself, or
even how much of a task it would be. Is it just a case of creating a new
card definition, or is i2c bus sniffing required to find out where
everything lives?

Anyone got any pointers?

Thanks,
Rodd




The long story is this:

1) I have a DVICO Fusion DVB-T1 working fine in the same machine.

2) I did a lot of stuffing about and building v4l and linux-dvb
snapshots and whatnot to try to get this card working. I've currently
got a stock 2.6.11-rc3 kernel with just three patches from Chris Pasco.
The DVB-T1 "enabler", the hid-core.c and the hid.h. (All downloaded from
http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~chrisp/Linux-DVB/DVICO/) This is the setup
which Chris says should work, and it does fine for the DVB-T1

3) Modprobe dvb-bt8xx gives the following

bttv: driver version 0.9.15 loaded
bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
bttv: Host bridge needs ETBF enabled.
bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 0000:00:0b.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:0b.1
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:0b.0, irq: 10, latency: 32, mmio:
0xdc000000
bttv0: using:  *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC ***  [card=0,autodetected]
bttv0: enabling ETBF (430FX/VP3 compatibilty)
bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=00ffffff [init]
tveeprom(bttv internal): Huh, no eeprom present (err=-121)?
bttv0: using tuner=-1
bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9887 @ 0x86... not found
bttv0: registered device video1
bttv0: registered device vbi0
bt878: AUDIO driver version 0.0.0 loaded
bt878: Bt878 AUDIO function found (0).
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 0000:00:0b.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:0b.0
bt878(0): Bt878 (rev 17) at 00:0b.1, irq: 10, latency: 32, memory:
0xdc001000

So the card isn't detected properly.

4) modprobe -r dvb-bt8xx ; modprobe bttv card=0x80
bt878(0): unloading
bt878_mem: 0xdaa2c000.
bttv0: unloading
bttv: driver version 0.9.15 loaded
bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
bttv: Host bridge needs ETBF enabled.
bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 0000:00:0b.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:0b.1
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:0b.0, irq: 10, latency: 32, mmio:
0xdc000000
bttv0: using: DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-T Lite [card=128,insmod option]
bttv0: enabling ETBF (430FX/VP3 compatibilty)
bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=00ffffff [init]
bttv0: using tuner=-1
bttv0: add subdevice "dvb0"

So far so good.

5) modprobe dvb-bt8xx

bt878: AUDIO driver version 0.0.0 loaded
bt878: Bt878 AUDIO function found (0).
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 0000:00:0b.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:0b.0
bt878(0): Bt878 (rev 17) at 00:0b.1, irq: 10, latency: 32, memory:
0xdc001000
DVB: registering new adapter (bttv0).
dvb-bt8xx: A frontend driver was not found for device 109e/0878
subsystem 0000/0000

No good.

6) So I installed an alternative HDD in machine, installd Windows XP,
and tried the DVICO driver. This driver installed fine and device
manager showed "Philips 1236D WDM ATSC TvTuner". Ah-ha!

7) Try to USE card in Windows, and I get an endless string of popups
saying "Authentification failed" using the 2.70 driver, and
"Authentication failed at decoder" in the 3.0beta2 driver.

8) Back in Linux, try 'modprobe bttv card=0x80 tuner=42'

bttv: driver version 0.9.15 loaded
bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
bttv: Host bridge needs ETBF enabled.
bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 0000:00:0b.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:0b.1
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:0b.0, irq: 10, latency: 32, mmio:
0xdc000000
bttv0: using: DVICO FusionHDTV DVB-T Lite [card=128,insmod option]
bttv0: enabling ETBF (430FX/VP3 compatibilty)
bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=00ffffff [init]
bttv0: using tuner=42
bttv0: add subdevice "dvb0"

9) modprobe dvb-bt8xx

bt878: AUDIO driver version 0.0.0 loaded
bt878: Bt878 AUDIO function found (0).
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 0000:00:0b.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 10 with 0000:00:0b.0
bt878(0): Bt878 (rev 17) at 00:0b.1, irq: 10, latency: 32, memory:
0xdc001000
DVB: registering new adapter (bttv0).
dvb-bt8xx: A frontend driver was not found for device 109e/0878
subsystem 0000/0000

10) Finally give up and hassle mailing list.





More information about the linux-dvb mailing list