[linux-dvb] Re: tv license

Sid Boyce sboyce at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 14:41:36 CET 2005

Niklas Peinecke wrote:
> Stephen Williams wrote:
>
>> You'd be amazed at what the TV licensing people know, and how they get
>> their information.
>>
> [...]
>

>> If you buy any TV receiving equipment in the UK, you hve to expect the
>> seller to inform TV licensing of your purchase!
>>
> You surely live in Orwell's own country! In Germany, there is no such
> information chain -- yet, although I think the GEZ (our tv licensing
> institution over here) would love to have such a thing.
>
> Niklas

TV receiving and amateur radio transmission equipment has always had
that rule attached, but my guess is that it's not always followed and
audits are not done, so it may vary from supplier to supplier. They can
track your movements by mobile phone and track your movements in city
centres on video, good and bad, as it has saved some people from going
to jail for a very long time. The law is only as good as the people
administering it and the (in)competence of the lawyers defending you,
one poor guy spent 15 years in prison for a murder that took place while
he was in Spain with a coach load of other holdiday makers from the UK.
You would think that proof of his whereabouts was so easy to establish
before a charge was brought.
Regards
Sid.
--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and Keen Flyer
=====ALMOST ALL LINUX USED HERE, Solaris 10 SPARC is just for play=====