[linux-dvb] finally two more patches againts dvb-apps

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Thu Jul 7 01:08:46 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 07:25:39PM +0200, w-thiel at gmx.net wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:05:17AM +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> > With all the Makefile mess, did you already consider using Automake?
> >
> I vote against using autoXXX stuff: IMHO, it will not be needed, and
> it will add confusion to new unexperienced users: "Why doesn't it com-
> pile with 'make'?", "It doesn't work with autoXXX version x.x which is the
> default in my distribution.", etc.

I don't think auto* is necessarily needed for Myth, but to refute your
arguments:

1. 50%+ of free software uses "./configure; make" so new users
   should be familiar with it (or are probably using binary packages
   anyway);

2. auto* versions are only an issue for developers and SVN users;
   release tarballs are distributed with those tools already run such
   that users just run configure.

Hamish