[linux-dvb] LinuxTV Copyrights

Johannes Stezenbach js at linuxtv.org
Sat Jul 9 12:39:45 CEST 2005

Hi Kenneth,

Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
> LinuxTV is a community of a lot of people, where people come and go!
>
> The people supporting LinuxTV is assumed to be part of the group,
> but how does one specify this legaly in copyright statements?
>
> The LinuxTV group should be in controll of everything in the
> LinuxTV CVS server, but it this the case today?

There is no corporate body (association, club, society, company)
which could be called "LinuxTV group". The server is paid by a
sponsor, and the linuxtv.org domain is registered to the
server admin (whois is out of date, convergence doesn't own
it anymore).

> What would the burdon of making all content in the LinuxTV CVS,
> copyrighted to the LinuxTV project be?

For what purpose? Currently copyright stays with the authors.
The only group I know of which handles this different is the FSF,
because the copyright transfer enables them to take legal
action by themselves (only the copyright holder can sue on
copyright violations).

> IANAL, please respond if you are, as I want to know who you are!

IANAL too, but getting a written statement from all patch authors
who submitted something during the last couple of years
to transfer copyright to whoever doesn't sound very practical
to me.

Johannes