[linux-dvb] Straw poll: best DVB-T card with vanilla 2.6.12

Robert Schlabbach robert_s at gmx.net
Wed Jul 13 02:50:04 CEST 2005

From: "Hamish Moffatt" <hamish at cloud.net.au>
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 07:03:35PM +0200, Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> > Don't mix things up here. He means the AirStar2 DVB-T. There is also a
> > AirStar2 ATSC/(QAM). (Aka. Air2PC). QAM is not working with Air2PC ATSC
> > 1st and 2nd generation (bcm3510 and nxt2002). The 3rd generation
> > (lgdt3303) will work with QAM.
> >
> > DVB-T is totally different to ATSC.
>
> Indeed - DVB-T is all QAM.

DVB-T is more COFDM than QAM ;) Our american friends tend to abuse some
technical terms beyond recognition. They say "HDTV" when they mean
ATSC-Terrestrial, and they say "QAM" when they actually mean OpenCable.

So when someone refers to "QAM" these days, you cannot be sure they
actually mean Quadrature Amplitude Modulation anymore... :(

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach
e-mail: robert_s at gmx.net