[linux-dvb] Re: Getting Kernel 2.6.13-rc3 and CVS DVB drivers to work with SuSE 9.3

Lucian Muresan lucianm at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jul 29 12:36:26 CEST 2005

André Weidemann wrote:
> Lucian Muresan wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have a cleaner solution to this, or know why it's not
>>possible to straight-forward compile and load the dvb-kernel from CVS
>>with a >= 2.6.13-rc3 kernel configured without it's own dvb drivers?
>

> For me the drivers worked "out of the box". I downloaded the latest CVS
> drivers and the kernel(2.6.13-rc3).
> Inside the drivers dir I did "makelinks <kernel sourcedir>". I then
> configured the kernel via "make menuconfig". After compiling the kernel
> and installing it, the new card was working.
> I think I simply loaded the modules with "modprobe budget-ci"

If I'm not mistaken, I think that's the very same thing like I did
actually, if you say you had to configure and compile the kernel.
I was thinking of and asking about the other way described in the
dvb-kernel CVS readme, of not configuring any dvb drivers in the kernel
and running "make" in the checkout folder, which builds the new drivers,
which then can be loaded/unloaded with the provided script. Maybe on
that route some module sources get mixed during the makelinks call in
the Makefile, therefore unresolved symbols and the like...

Lucian