[linux-dvb] Twinhan + Hauppauge WinTV, modprobe hangs

Jeremy Jones jeremy at samnjack.com
Fri Mar 18 19:15:54 CET 2005

Hello,

I have a Twinhan DVB-S 1020A (red, if that matters) and a Hauppauge
WinTV-Go card.  Running linux-2.6.10 w/stock linux drivers compiled into
the kernel, I've had no trouble running these cards.  The problem I've
heard described off & on, however, with systems hanging when loading
drivers for the Twinhan, has cropped up for me now that I've tried to
upgrade to linux-2.6.11.

kernel, driver, card combinations and issues:

1. 2.6.10, stock linux drivers static in kernel, both cards installed =
no problems

2. 2.6.11, stock linux drivers static in kernel, both cards installed =
hang when detecting Twinhan (after loading Hauppauge)

3. 2.6.11, stock linux drivers static in kernel, Hauppauge card removed
= hang when detecting Twinhan

4. 2.6.11, stock linux drivers as modules, both cards installed = hang
when i run either "modprobe bttv i2c_hw=1 card=0x71" or "modprobe bttv
i2c_hw=1 card=0x68"

5. 2.6.11, stock linux drivers as modules, Hauppauge card removed = hang
when i run either "modprobe bttv i2c_hw=1 card=0x71" or "modprobe bttv
i2c_hw=1 card=0x68"

6. 2.6.11, dvb-kernel source linked & kernel patched, drivers as
modules, both cards installed = hang when i run "modprobe bttv i2c_hw=1
card=0x71"

Haven't gotten further than this with the dvb-kernel drivers, as I'm
away from the (hung) pc at the moment.

Is this a problem anyone else has seen?  Ideally, I'd like to run as
vanilla a 2.6.11 kernel as possible, w/out piling patches on.  This may
not be possible, though, with this hardware.  Is it odd that the box
hangs with only the Twinhan, and drivers compiled static into the
kernel, or is it a known problem?

Thanks,
Jeremy