[linux-dvb] Two card config question

Michael Krufky mkrufky at m1k.net
Sun Oct 30 22:18:30 CET 2005

Jon Burgess wrote:

> Philip Prindeville wrote:
>
>> Michael Krufky wrote:
>> install bttv0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install bttv && /sbin/modprobe
>> dvb-bt8xx && /sbin/modprobe dst
>> install bttv1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install bttv &&
>> But that doesn't work...  or at least, not automatically at boot.  I
>> have to run
>> "modprobe bttv0" and then "modprobe bttv1"...  I suppose there's an easy
>> way to fix that, such as:
>

> I think the reason it doesn't work is that the "modprobe bttv" creates
> both the bttv0 & bttv1 devices, hence only one of your two "install
> bttvX" lines ever gets executed. You could try having just a single
> line which does everything:
>
> install bttv /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install bttv && /sbin/modprobe
> dvb-bt8xx && /sbin/modprobe dst && /sbin/modprobe cx88-dvb &&
> /sbin/modprobe cx8800

cx88-dvb depends on cx8802, which depends on cx8800 which depends on cx88xx

so, the && logic above is incorrect, and irrelevant... all that must be
modprobe'd is cx88-dvb ... it will automatically load all of its
dependencies.

> FWIW, I removed all my modprobe lines for the frontends of my budget
> cards. There was a change made a while ago to the budget code which
> forced it to load every supported frontend when the budget module is
> loaded. Perhaps this change should be propagated to other card drivers?

This is already the case.  bttv is the analog driver, dvb-bt8xx is the
DVB driver, and it automatically loads (bt878 and) all supported
frontends EXCEPT dst.