[linux-dvb] Compro VideoMate DVB-T 3000 - More data

Hartmut Hackmann hartmut.hackmann at t-online.de
Sat Apr 1 22:19:26 CEST 2006

Hi, Jules

Jules Bean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed on the mailing list archives people having the same
> probing problems I'm having, I thought I'd supply some more data points.
> I have two identical (as far as I know) Compro VideoMate 3000s. I use
> them in both analog and digital mode in MythTV.
>
> 1) They worked fine in 2.6.14, using v4l-dvb-20051208.tar.gz, no
> problems after hard or soft reboots that I ever noticed.
>
> 2) In 2.6.16, using the built in modules, they autoprobe correctly on
> hard reboots.
>
> 3) On soft reboots they sometimes still probe correctly. Or sometimes
> one out of two does.
>
> 4) After a hard reboot and a correct autoprobe, although they appear to
> be functioning correctly, analog TV tuning does not work. In both xawtv
> and mythtv, the symptoms are a black and white static accompanied by
> static noise, exactly as if the aerial was unplugged.
>
> 5) After unloading the module with rmmod (and also saa7134-dvb and
> saa7134-oss) and reloading by hand with modprobe, both analog and
> digital work fine.
>
> I hope these data points are somehow useful to you. To me they are plain
> confusing :-)

Interesting...
I think the cause for your different observation lies in the module load
order / configuration. Please check:
- Does your configuration set the card type manually (card=70 insmod option)?
- Does your configuration load the tuner manually?

There is the old problem that the tuner module MUST find the tuner during
its initialization, but its not visible until the driver switches the
bridge transparent. This makes the module load order important.
If you have some instruction that loads the tuner module, please remove it,
the saa7134 module will request it.

Best regards
    Hartmut