[linux-dvb] Re: videodev.ko not installed when using v4l-dvb (HG) and conflicting symbols

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Sun Apr 2 19:20:46 CEST 2006

Matthias Schwarzott wrote:
> Hi Michael!
>
> I had a (longer) look at the Makefile in v4l-dvb/v4l.
>
> When called from KBuild (when compiling the modules) the include order is
> correct. But not when doing make install. But this does not matter as there
> is not constructed a list built which modules to install but rather all
> available *.ko files are installed.
>

> The Makefile in general could be cleaned up a bit - but only if there is
> someone who wants to do the work - compilation and installation works at the
> moment.

Don't bother trying to clean up the Makefile -- We are soon going to be
doing away with most of its contents, using the kernel Kconfig /
Makefile build system instead.  This way we will have a single Makefile
to update when adding new drivers.  A local makefile will still be left
around to handle the build for the experimental modules in the mercurial
tree, such as cx88-ivtv and ivtv itself.

You can expect to see this change hit v4l-dvb master most likely towards
the end of next week, time permitting.

Cheers,

Mike