[linux-dvb] Artec T1 problems

Richard Lewis rxl881 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 18:41:09 CEST 2006

Hi,

I have been struggling for the past few days trying to get an Artec T1
working correctly under Linux (Slackware 10.2).

I have tried various flavours of kernel from 2.6.13 to 2.6.16.1 with the
standard kernel DVB drivers, and various versions of dvb-kernel from CVS
without any luck.

When the box is plugged in, "lsusb -vvv" reports the following:

Bus 003 Device 003: ID 05d8:8107 Ultima Electronics Corp. Artec T1 USB TVBOX
with AN2235 (cold)
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass          255 Vendor Specific Class
  bDeviceSubClass       255 Vendor Specific Subclass
  bDeviceProtocol       255 Vendor Specific Protocol
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x05d8 Ultima Electronics Corp.
  idProduct          0x8107 Artec T1 USB TVBOX with AN2235 (cold)
  bcdDevice            0.01
  iManufacturer           0
  iProduct                0
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:

As this lists the device as having the AN2235 USB controller, I am using the
dvb-usb-dibusb-an2235-01.fw (md5sum=e7a05363c7ed4d9b78cbedd767c7acfe)
firmware, which I have placed in /lib/firmware.

The drivers compile and load without any problems, but as soon as the box is
attached to the computer dmesg starts filling up with:

dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -90 (1/0)
..
..

/var/log/messages reports the following:

Apr  3 15:54:25 magpie kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using
uhci_hcd and address 3
Apr  3 15:54:25 magpie kernel: dvb-usb: found a 'Artec T1 USB1.1 TVBOX with
AN2235' in warm state.
Apr  3 15:54:25 magpie kernel: dvb-usb: will use the device's hardware PID
filter (table count: 16).
Apr  3 15:54:25 magpie kernel: dibusb: this device has the Panasonic
ENV77H11D5 onboard.
Apr  3 15:54:25 magpie kernel: dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to
150 msecs.
Apr  3 15:54:25 magpie kernel: dvb-usb: Artec T1 USB1.1 TVBOX with AN2235
successfully initialized and connected.

This seems to suggest that everything should be working OK, and yet the LEDs
do not come on (indicating that the firmware has not been correctly loaded),
and no /dev/dvb.frontend0 device is created by udev (/dev/dvb0.demux0,
/dev/dvb0.dvr0 and /dev/dvb0/net0 are created at this point) .

I have tried many things including uncommenting the "#define
DVB_USB_DIBUSB_MB_FAULTY_USB_IDs" line in
dvb-kernel/linux/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dibusb-mb.c, as described in the
Artec T1 howto, here - http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Artec_T1_USB_TV_Box,
without any luck.

I have also tried (just to make sure that the hardware actually works at
all) running it under windows, and frustratingly it fires up first time
without any problems :(. However, one thing that I did notice from this is
that the windows drivers report the product ID to be 8108 rather than 8107
(as reported by lsusb under Linux). I'm not sure if this is important, but
thought I'd mention it, just in case.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions that you have, even if it is
just to say that this type of T1 isn't currently supported, as at least then
I can move on, or buy some new hardware.

Many thanks

Richard