[linux-dvb] multiple frontends question

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Fri Apr 7 14:21:53 CEST 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Evangelos Stergiou wrote:
> Hello.
> I have a DVB-S card and I want to have 2 instances of xine or mplayer locked
> to 2 different PIDs (1 instance for 1 PID)

You can't easily do this.  You'll have to what others said, and have an
external program split the stream for each player.

It's too bad really, because the DVB drivers support this ability.  The only
problem is that when this ability is used the kernel strips the TS headers
from the streams, which makes them unplayable.  As a result, everything uses
the dvr0 device, which only allows a single open at a time.

Felix Domke sent a message to this list a day or two ago about an improvement
to the dvb api that would allow this.  You could have multiple copies of a
player listening to the different (or the same) PIDs.