[linux-dvb] Rationalisation of /dev/adapterX/caY devices

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 11:48:56 CEST 2006

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> Basically this slot thing models the hardware, which is just one
> CI controller, el cheapo extended to support two slots.

On cards with multiple controllers/one controller with multiple devices,
except for the case where it is daisy chained (some budget cards use
this el cheapo method), when we have multiple slots, we can route the TS
between slots (specific hardware). This is in fact multiple devices on
one board/chip

In such a case it would be nice if we can address the slots directly (we
will be able to do many interesting things, like a router), since the
slots are not directly linked (daisy chained). I mean this will enable
us to leave options open.

Manu