[linux-dvb] Rationalisation of /dev/adapterX/caY devices

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 13:48:37 CEST 2006

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2006, Manu Abraham wrote:
>
>> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
>>
>>> Basically this slot thing models the hardware, which is just one
>>> CI controller, el cheapo extended to support two slots.
>>>
>> On cards with multiple controllers/one controller with multiple devices,
>> except for the case where it is daisy chained (some budget cards use
>> this el cheapo method), when we have multiple slots, we can route the TS
>> between slots (specific hardware). This is in fact multiple devices on
>> one board/chip
>>
>> In such a case it would be nice if we can address the slots directly (we
>> will be able to do many interesting things, like a router), since the
>> slots are not directly linked (daisy chained). I mean this will enable
>> us to leave options open.
>>

> I think you can have multiple caX devices already if you want
> to, just for existing hardware I know of it doesn't make that
> much sense.

The existing ones are fine, since (the only ones that are there now does
chain the slots, no special controller (CPLD) also in some cases) But
cards will be coming out with multiple frontends and ca devices with
routable logic on one PCI adapter (a CPLD which does the stream control).

In this case, we can route the TS from one frontend to the another CA
device etc, functionality depends on the complexity of the CPLD/FPGA.

Manu