[linux-dvb] RFC: Multiple TS recordings

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Tue Apr 11 23:56:51 CEST 2006

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> The interesting questions:
> - would the subtle API change wrt pes_type and DMX_OUT_TAP
>   break something in VDR or other apps?
>   (I guess VDR doesn't use DMX_OUT_TAP at all)
> - is there anyone besides Felix who would like to have this
>   new API extension?
> - does anyone see any problems with it?

I think this extension would be very useful.  For example, you could record a
TS program with one application and then later start mplayer to watch another.
I can think of many ways in which having multiple threads/processes reading
from a DVB device at the same time would be useful.  If the DVB layer was "no
filters, no de-muxing, do everything in userspace," you could argue against
adding this ability to the API and say it should be handled in userspace
instead.  Except that's not the case, everything is already there in the
kernel, it's just some sillyness in the PES filter API that prevents it from
working.

Now, IMHO, I think modifying the PES_FILTER is somewhat of a kludge.  I'd
rather just create a new, better thought out, filter ioctl that can do this.