[linux-dvb] [Proposal] Meaningful reporting of SNR

Richard Scobie r.scobie at clear.net.nz
Thu Apr 13 23:37:06 CEST 2006

Robert Schlabbach wrote:

> Have you ever programmed any DVB demodulator? I have programmed a number
> (for all three transmission systems), and I recall only two datasheets
> giving information about how to compute SNR from the register readings. The
> vast majority had no information on this.

In case this is of any use to anyone following this thread, the carrier
to noise ratio for the BSRU6 front end can be calculated in dB using the
following information:

Register ADD 24 NIRH 8 bits (MSB of noise indicator)

Register ADD 25 NIRL 8 bits (LSB of noise indicator)

C/N (dB) = -0.0017 * NIR + 19.02

Regards,

Richard