[linux-dvb] KNC-1+Cineview CAM+Tuning Problems

Andrew de Quincey adq_dvb at lidskialf.net
Thu Apr 20 00:50:00 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 12:28, Manfred Petz wrote:
> hello,
>
> i'm using a KNC-1 (stv0299) + cineview with a cryptoworks CAM + orf card.
> i'm using the latest hg version of the dvb driver. the knc-1 is connected
> to a technisat gigaswitch 11/20.
>
> 1st problem:
>
>    i'm experiencing strange tuning problems in conjunction with the CAM
>    inserted or removed. after using a streaming software, initializing the
>    CAM etc and terminating it, i cannot tune again, quite reproducibly.
>    i checked also with szap(1):
>
>  	status 03 | signal a76e | snr 89ca | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
>  	status 03 | signal b038 | snr 8f3a | ber 00000000 | unc 00000000 |
>  	.
>  	.
>  	.
>
>    after removing and re-inserting the cam, i almost instantly get a
>    lock:
>
>  	status 1f | signal a8bb | snr c4bf | ber 00002d00 | unc 00000000 |
> FE_HAS_LOCK status 1f | signal a641 | snr c4e6 | ber 00000000 | unc
> 00000000 | FE_HAS_LOCK .
>  	.
>  	.
>
>    though, this is not reproducible. sometimes i have to remove/re-insert
> the CAM 2-3 times. sometimes i got a lock only after removing the CAM.

This is likely caused because on the KNC1 cards, the reset line of the CAM is
hooked to the same line as the demodulator reset... so when you reset the CAM
(as you have to do), the demodulator gets zapped as well. This caused
problems with the tda10046 demodulators, so I added code to reinitialise the
demodulator when the CAM was reset.

Perhaps this isn't necessary for the stv0299 cards. Can you try the attached
patch (against latest hg) and let me know if it helps with this?

How is your switch controlled (is it DISEQC)? The problem is when the stv0299
gets reinitialised, it'll drop the LNB voltage and tone signalling. I did add
code to set the simple tone/voltage signalling post-reset, but perhaps it is
not working right. I can't really resend DISEQC again (if thats what its
using) because that could potentially contain anything.

> 2nd problem:
>
>    i can decrypt only one channel at once (it is definitely not a CAM
> initialization problem). though, i know that the cryptoworks can decrypt at
> least 3 channels at the same time (and the streaming software can also). i
> am doing this with some other servers (but with wintv cards).

This I can't really help with - if you can talk to the cam at all and decrypt
a channel, the CI interface is working correctly as far as I know.

>    with kernels around 2.6.11 i had none of those problems even with knc-1
> cards, though i used a previous generation of the knc-1.
>
>    once, while ejecting and re-inserting the cryptoworks, i got that dmesg:
>
>  	budget-av: cam ejected
>  	budget-av: cam inserted
>  	dvb_ca adapter 0: Invalid PC card inserted :(
>
>    i also got this once:
>
>  	dvb_ca adapter 0: CAM tried to send a buffer larger than the link buffer
> size (65535 > 128)!

The first meant that it didn't read the expected PCMCIA structures from the
CAM for some reason.

The second is an internal safety check to make sure nothing bad happens. Did
the second one happen when you inserted/ejected, or was it during normal
running?

The CI interfaces on budget cards can be a bit unstable, so its likely it is
just being caught by that. Theres not likely much I can do - as far as I
know, I've made it as stable as I can (but you never know....).