[linux-dvb] Can't find dvb0_0 when using dvbtune

Christian Prähauser cpraehaus at cosy.sbg.ac.at
Thu Apr 20 23:52:49 CEST 2006

Hello James!

James A Vincent wrote:

>I am having problems in using dvbtune for ip over satellite using Linux
>version 2.6.5-gentoo-r1 and a Skystar2 card.  I can use the card for dvb
>tv reception with mplayer and Kaffeine with no problems.
>
>However I cannot seem to use the card for data !

1. Try
 dvbnet -a 0  -p <PID>

<PID> names the TS logical channel on which data is sent using MPE
encapsulation
This should result in

If this step fails, the error message (if any) would be helpful.

2. Then do (with <IPADDR> being optional)
 ifconfig dvb0_0 <IPADDR>

You should see a few lines with information about you dvb net interface.

3. start up your favorite tuner tool (e.g. dvbtune) and keep it running.

You should now be able to receive data via the dvb0_0 interface.
Use
    tcpdump -i dvb0_0
for testing if you are able to receive data.

Maybe that helps.
Christian.