[linux-dvb] MPEG4 AVC support? On DVB-C? With CAMs? On Twinhan Cab-CI?

bbee bumble.bee at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 24 07:21:51 CEST 2006

Hi,

my local cable provider will kick off its HDTV broadcasts with the upcoming
world cup (at no extra charge), and since I recently got a monitor that can
do 1080* I thought I'd try to exploit the circumstances..

I have reports from local sources that the Twinhan Cab-CI coupled with an
AlphaCrypt 3.05 CAM currently works, with SD MPEG2 DVB-C, on Windows.
I have read reports on this list's archives that this card and its CI
support work on Linux. Even mythtv claims support for both the card and its
CI.

The problem is, the cable company recently announced that it would be using
a new decoder for HDTV, made by Samsung; press release (in Dutch):
http://www.samsung.com/nl/presscenter/pressrelease/ce_20060306_0000237445.asp
MPEG4 AVC / H.264 seems to be a requirement for these broadcasts. Twinhan's
website only lists MPEG2 as supported for the Cab-CI, and a local vendor
(which is Windows-centric) seems to confirm this.
I'm new to all this DVB terminology, so I'm thinking that this limitation
might be in the bundled Windows software, and not the hardware.

Is there any chance that these MPEG4 broadcasts can be "seen" by this card
under Linux so I can shove them into mplayer, which has H.264 support?

Does the Linux DVB code support MPEG4 streams at all? There are very few
results from gmane when I search for "mpeg4" on the list archives..

If not, is there any other DVB-C card with a CI slot that would support
these MPEG4 streams? The Terratec Cinergy 1200 perhaps?

Sorry if I'm asking questions with obvious answers, but this stuff is about
as transparent and well-documented as X11 modelines or sendmail .mc files..

Thanks,

bbee