[linux-dvb] budget-ci: cannot upgrade SCM CAM firmware

Dominique Dumont domi.dumont at free.fr
Sun Feb 5 10:28:38 CET 2006

Hello

I have a SCM Viaccess CAM with a Nova-CI S card.

I need to upgrade the firmware of the card using SCM's procedure [1].

This procedure boils down to:
- tune to Italiasat (don't let you children run around you during this
  procedure ;-) )
- hot plug the CAM
- wait for CAM messages confirming the firmware download.

With budget-ci, nothing special happens and the CAM is initialized as
usual. Pierre Juhen reported that firmware upgrade works with a
Nexus-S.

I've looked at the dvb-core and budget-ci code. If I understood
correctly, a reset is sent to the CAM at module initialization time
*and* when a CAM is inserted. In the last case, a reset is unnecessary
as the CAM was powered off before insertion.

I believe that sending a reset to the CAM will prevent the firmware
upgrade. So budget-ci (and may be dvb-core) must be modified so as not
to send a reset to the CAM when this one is inserted.

Can someone help me to modify budget-ci ?

Thanks

[1] http://www.scmmicro.com/support/dtv_faq.html#ViaccessFAQ