[linux-dvb] Kworld-ATSC110

maillist maillist at boilerbots.com
Fri Feb 17 00:50:55 CET 2006

Michael Krufky wrote:

> Curt wrote:
>
>> Michael Krufky wrote:
>>
>>> Guys, please test this tree as it stands right now:
>>>
>>> do:
>>> hg clone http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/atsc
>>>
>>> Is this ready to be merged into the main tree yet?
>>>
>> Yes it is good. Please push it so others can try it out. Thanks for
>> putting the tda9887_conf back in. I still can't see how it make any
>> difference in the actual functionality but we will leave it in for now.
>

> Anybody can test the driver using my tree, as mentioned above.  You
> may not see why we need the tda9887 to be configured right now, but if
> you REALLY need to be convinced, please google the following search
> phrase: "gene heskett pchdtv tda9887" (read the entire thread)...
> Sure, the code might work in today's kernel without the tda9887 being
> explicitly programmed, however, in older kernels, or maybe in some
> future kernels, the driver might break without this line.
>

>> Here is what I had to do.
>>
>>  1. load saaa7134
>>  2. load saa7134-dvb
>>  3. run something to get the nxt2004 firmware to load, like azap.
>>  4. load tuner
>>  5. remove tuner
>>  6. load tuner (it always loads the second time)
>>  7. remove the tda9887 that was loaded by something else.
>>  8. Run a tv program like tvtime that accesses the video device.
>>  8. load tda9887 (now that the ntx2004 is up and configured).
>

> None of that should be necessary.  It sounds to me like you just need
> to set up /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> Obviously, you have multiple cards in your machine at once, and this
> is mucking up your testing environment.

Nope, I pulled all cards so I can just work on the Kworld.

> 1) Simply doing:
>
> modprobe saa7134
>
> should be enough to get analog television working.  This will
> automatically load tuner.ko and tda9887.ko (and others) as dependencies.

Never worked for me. I believe the tuv1236D driver (part of tuner
module) can not identify the tuner until the nxt2004 firmware is loaded.

> 2) doing:
>
> modprobe saa7134-dvb
>
> should be enough to get digital television working.  This will
> automatically load nxt200x.ko and dvb-pll.ko (and others) as
> dependencies.
>
> You do not need to explicitly load the firmware -- it will be loaded
> as needed.
>
> I can only imagine the need for you to do that entire sequence above
> if you want to see all the debug messages showing up at once in the log.

I understand this, but I have to provoke it to load the firmware so that
the tuner module can recognize the tuv1236D, without the nxt2004
firmware it doesn't work for me.

>> I will work on making this more automatic but for now this is what it
>> takes.
>

> All you need to do is add "saa7134-dvb" to /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> Bingo!

If doing these manually using modprobe doesn't work then what will
adding it to my modprobe.conf file do for me.

> Please, humor me... Download *my* mercurial tree ( hg clone
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/atsc )  DO NOT alter any files.....
> Follow the standard build instructions:
>
> cd v4l-dvb
> make
> make install (as root)

This is what I am testing against.

> edit your /etc/modprobe.conf (or is it /etc/modules.conf ? i forget)
> as shown above.
>
> reboot your system.

Haven't done this particular experiment since it doesn't work for me
manually loading the modules.

> When it comes back up, everything should just work, without the need
> to do your strange sequence of module loading and unloading.  If
> anybody can confirm that this works out-of-the-box now, then I will
> have this merged into master.
>
> If, however, you find that you DO need to do this module
> GPIO-related troubles, and I will NOT have this merged into master
> until those can be resolved.
>
> Let me know...

I don't know what the issue is with mergine this into the master, it
doesn't cause any harm and to anyone or anything out there. The drawback
to not pushing it is that others can not discover the "magic" sequence
that it takes to get things to work automatically. I don't have any
problems with my other tuners, only this one so I am familiar with the
basic concepts of how this is supposed to work.

Curt