[linux-dvb] Budget card with CI seen as "budget", not "budget-ci"

Pavel Paprok ppaprok at applet.cz
Fri Feb 17 14:26:14 CET 2006

Hi all,

I just playing with some dvb-s card, ordered as "Win TV-NOVA CI".
(but based on info on attached cd it is "TT-budget S-1500")
This card came with CI extension board, so I want to use it to receiving
some Cryptoworks encrypted programs, in conjunction with
SCM Cryptoworks adapter a Cryptoworks card.
Kernel is latest 2.6.15.4, latest mercurial, player is latest
vlc /w dvb support compiled in.

PROBLEM:
 ...is that pci subid of card (0x017) cause detect and serve it by "budget"
driver instead "budget-ci", so CI option is unavailable:

Feb 14 04:08:18 dvbfm kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA
-S PCI (rev AL/alps bsbe1 lnbp21 frontend)).

Note that all free-to-air programs works with autoloaded "budget" driver great,
but because I really WANT to use CI on this card I did these tests:

1) simple move subid 0x017 from budget driver to budget-ci driver
-> after this change CI was initialized, CAM detected, but tuner do not get lock.
As I found, tuner BSBE1 which is on card really presented is not supported
on "budget-ci" (budget-ci coded only for WinTV with BSRU6 tuner)

2) so next - because card did work with "budget" driver ok before -  I try to copy
also bsbe1/lnbp21 related parts of code analogically from "budget" to "budget-ci"
(functions  like alps_bsbe1_inittab, alps_bsbe1_set_symbol_rate, alps_bsbe1_pll_set,
lnbp21_set_voltage, lnbp21_enable_high_lnb_voltage, lnbp21_init)

after this change card seen as budget-ci card:

Feb 14 15:12:29 dvbfm kernel: saa7146: found saa7146 @ mem df896400 (revision 1,
 irq 177) (0x13c2,0x1017).
Feb 14 15:12:29 dvbfm kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA
-CI PCI).
Feb 14 15:12:29 dvbfm kernel: adapter has MAC addr = 00:d0:5c:04:72:a1
Feb 14 15:12:29 dvbfm kernel: input: Budget-CI dvb ir receiver saa7146 (1) as /c
lass/input/input4
Feb 14 15:12:29 dvbfm kernel: budget_ci: CI interface initialised
Feb 14 15:12:29 dvbfm kernel: DVB: registering frontend 1 (ST STV0299 DVB-S)...
Feb 14 15:12:31 dvbfm kernel: dvb_ca adapter 0: DVB CAM detected and initialised
 successfully

RESULT:

FREE programs works still great (like before), without any errors.
CRYPOTWORKS programs start playing ok too, but stream seems
to have a some quality problems:
- sometime errors in picture observed (3-30% of screen, once per 10-60sec)
but not reported by input in vlc. On screen it seems like errors in stream,
but signal is ok (all free programs on same transponder works great)
- sometime screen freezes for 5-20 seconds (once per 1-3 minutes) , vlc
reporting ussualy some changing of rate ended with new lock of tuner
during this time.

QUESTION:

what cause these errors in receiving of Cryptoworks programs? some
next changes of code or configuration recommended? some tips?
it is a last, but essential problem of my vlc stream,
and I am open to help to assist in test with my hardware :-)

which is best way to assure that card with subid 0x017 will be in next
releases of kernels detected by right, modified "budget-ci" driver?
(only in case if problem in first question solved :-) )

Thanks,
Pavel