[linux-dvb] How might a SATA drive interfere with DVB-S

William Smith william.smith at ebaana.net
Mon Feb 20 18:03:29 CET 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 00:42, Reinhard Nissl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I've replaced my system drive (PATA) by a SATA one to send the
> PATA drive in for repair.
>
> And now, VDR reports a lot of TS discontinuities and it's c*Repackers
> complain about bad packets. Before exchanging the drive, I've only had
> such errors immediately after switching to a new transponder.
>
> So it looks like the drive interferes in any way with DVB-S reception
> (NOVA-S). Is there anything I could check to solve this issue?
>
> Bye.

It might be your chipset. You could also try updating your bios.
I have had lots of problems with using IDE devices
like my DVD drives, and USB, after installing a SATA hard drive. Fortunately,
I haven't had any problem with DVB on this motherboard. I changed
motherboards because of the problem. (When I changed the mobo, in Linux
(Kubuntu) I only had to set the volume and change the device ID around of the
two DVB cards  - imagine changing your motherboard with Windows.)
It looks like the first S-ATA motherboards had pretty sketchy support for
S-ATA.