[linux-dvb] typhoon usb dvb-t card low signal

Patrick Boettcher patrick.boettcher at desy.de
Sat Feb 25 12:05:02 CET 2006

Hi Bertrand,

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Bertrand Marquis wrote:
> I am trying to make a Typhoon dvb-t usb to work under linux.
>
> When i plug the card, the kernel detects it correctly as a typhoon card, load
> the firmware i downloaded in linuxtv and then the led is on. I am then able
> to look for channels using scandvb and i can found all channels available in
> my area.

Very good.

> The problem is that i have a really low signal:

Actually the signal strength should give a value of the Signal power
before any tuner/LNA/AGC of the board. A lot of boards currently supported
don't give that value or it cannot be calculation due to the lack of
floating point operations at kernel level.

Furthermore your board has everyhting "hidden" in a firmware and the value
you read from it is "pre-calculated". From the information we have we just
assumed that it is a percent value, but we might be wrong.

However, in DVB the signal strength is not so important. If BER and UNC is
zero everything is OK and you will not have any bad video or something.
I would not recommend this device and using its signal strength to find
a good position for the antenna.

> Under windows the typhoon application says that i have a signal of about 95%
> and the same for the snr and then i can look television without problems.
>
> But under linux i can see practically nothing and kaffeine says that my signal
> is only 20%.

And there is no TV visible?

> Does anyone has this problem and knows how to solve it ?

What is the problem?

regards,
Patrick.

   Mail: patrick.boettcher at desy.de