[linux-dvb] new/unsupported usb device 1498/9206

DAniele Gobbetti gdaniele at gmx.net
Wed Jan 25 13:05:51 CET 2006

Hi all,

I just bought a usb 2.0 dvb-T tuner (claimed on ebay to be "fully
Linux/VDR supported") but can't get it to work.

Info follows:
Relevant /proc/bus/usb/devices lines:

T:  Bus=04 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=02 Cnt=01 Dev#=  3 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1498 ProdID=9206 Rev= 1.02
S:  Manufacturer=ULi Elect
S:  Product=ULi M9206
S:  SerialNumber=ULi01
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr= 50mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS=   0 Ivl=125us

On the website of the manufacturer I just found commercial infos
( http://www.uli.com.tw/eng/products/product_detail.php?pserno=89 ).

BTW googling for the model number I found many pages like this
( http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20051229175232512 ) saying
"ULi M1575 and M9206 Receives USB-IF LOGO Certification"... does that
mean something?

Interesting infos are coming out of the .sys file from the windows
driver: because i dunno how to extract the "right" parts for creating a
linux firmware (can someone follow me in the process? I'm willing to
contribute!) I basically lurked into it for some meaningful strings and
my finds follows:
--8<--excerpt from .sys file--8<--
Try Dibcom3000MC - Error when reading the DiBccom device ID (Read value
0x%x)
^@Vendor ID 0x%x
Try Dibcom3000P - Error when reading the DiBccom device ID (Read value
0x%x)
DiBccom device ID (Read value %x)
Device ID= 0x%x
DiB3000MC device detected
DiB3000P device detected
This driver cannot be used to control the DiB3000MB
Please use  the appropriate driver for that
No DiBcom device detected
--8<--
I guess these are good news.

Additionally the file is named M920XBDA_USB2DTV.sys and it could be used
as well for the M9205 and M9207.

So, I would like to know which is the best way to start playing with (my
thoug was to try to add an "alias" line into the dibcom firmware module,
then I realized that maybe it would have been better to ask before
bricking the device :)

Bye, DAniele

P.S. Other relevant information: the kernel here is 2.6.15.1 (vanilla)
and the distro is Debian (almost no more) stable. The box is Usb 2.0
(may run at 1.1 as well).