[linux-dvb] how can i start to make a DVB firmware for USB

Gunther Mayer gunther.mayer at gmx.net
Wed Jun 7 21:29:09 CEST 2006

jason_wu wrote:

>am currently running a Fedora 3 core, with upgraded kernel 2.6.16.13
>set up with
>
>TwinhanDTV Alpha USB box
>firmware file (while download from linuxtv.org) dvb-usb-vp7045.fw
>xine
>kaffiene (with a little bit fixed, those node under /dev has some problem they automatically point to somewhere,
>else when i connect the USB device, but well i changed those node name to right one)
>
>which can play DVB-T program alright
>i live at Taiwan Taipei
>
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>now i want to use those same system, but just change another USB device,
>how can i do so?
>
>1. when i plug in another device (which i bought from net), they using Uli 9206 and MT352 (similar as Twinhan),
>how can i insert this module, because my linux kernel couldn't detect the device i just plugged in, i think i should
>use some insmod method or something?
>
>2. how can i make a *.fw file myself? and i do collect some information of my device, now i just want to know is there
>any kind of lecture or web site teaching us how can i make my own firmware file
>
>3. is that true i can play Uli devcie on linux , just to done [1] and [2]? is there any other thing i am missing out?

If you want to write a driver for a Uli9206/Uli9207 device you need a
datasheet from the chip manufacturer.

As the INF files do not have different USB IDs for cold/warm state I
assume the Uli9206/Uli9207 perhaps
do not need a firmware (at least the data sheet will show if a firmware
is needed).

-
Gunther