[linux-dvb] Freecom (WideView) DVB-T USB Sample MPEG?

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 16:17:49 CEST 2006

Andrew Lyon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess that if the dvb-t stream is simply grabbed as is and sent to
> the pc then all dvb-t cards would be the same picture quality, but
> from what I have seen this is not always the case.. so id really like
> to see a sample (especially one from a linux user).

I have no idea 'what you've seen', but you are correct in thinking the
data is the same irrelevant of the device. The only thing that would
discern devices is how they well they cope with low /poor quality signal
inputs, and possibly the quality of the Windows software (which for a
cheap device, will be equally cheap) if that's all you've used to date.

> The freecom is really cheap £32!!, it seems a little too good to be true.

I bought one of the newer ones for work intended to use it with VDR but
experiences issues with PID filtering (documented both on this + the VDR
list) - I hope you have better luck with MythTV!

I've since replaced it with a Nova-T PCI (£40) which works perfectly.

Cheers,
Gavin.