[linux-dvb] Re: lgdt330x.c 8VSB snr reg not read from chip?

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Wed Jun 21 18:45:46 CEST 2006

Harry Coin wrote:
> Wilson & Group:
>
> Thanks for the attention.  Getting some idea of signal strength at the
> DVIco Fusion light tuner really matters when trying to debug reception
> / cabling / amp distribution problems.
>
> In a related matter, I find that the M$ version of the software
> running on the same box has no problems finding all the local UHF ATSC
> stations, but the Linux version doesn't seem to have the tuning right
> for the ATSC station broadcasting here on UHF channel 49.    I notice
> some frequency tables end in 0000 and others end a fixed offset up
> from that.
>
> Last, as it happens I write device drivers for a living as well.  I'd
> like to read the datasheets for the chips used in the DVICo Fusion
> Lite, particularly the tuner related ones.  Can you help with links to
> those?  I'm thinking of cooking up a little reception diagnostic tool
> that would have made my struggles easier.  I'm willing to put in the
> time to understand the chipsets.
Harry-

Which kernel version are you running?  There was a typo in the tuner
frequency range definition, and that might explain your difficulty in
tuning certain stations.  I believe that the fix was applied late in the
2.6.16.y series, and it is already in 2.6.17.

You can upgrade your driver to the current version in the v4l-dvb master
mercurial repository hosted on linuxtv.org, which already contains the
tuner fix, and the snr reg fix provided earlier in this thread.

http://linuxtv.org/repo  (howto)

Hope this helps,

Michael Krufky