[linux-dvb] Lifeview LR306 clone does not receive ch 7. SOLVED (partly)

Philip Shead drinnen at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 19 09:20:17 CEST 2006

Peter D. wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 September 2006 07:41, Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
>> Hi, all

>> Peter D. wrote:

> [snip]
>>> Changing the configuration for channel seven from "hierarchy:
>>> NONE" to "hierarchy: AUTO" and "Guard interval: 1/8" to "Guard
>>> interval: 1/16" allows me to get standard definition channel 7,
>>> but not HD or the guide.  More experimentation is necessary.
>> No experiments necessary, see below.

>>> I can only assume that;
>>> A) the out-of-the-box configuration on Mandriva 2006 is wrong
>>> B) the driver is smart enough to correct for mis-configuration
>>> C) some interaction of the Kworld and MSI clobbers the
>>> auto-configuration capabilities of the MSI driver.

>>> Perhaps something somewhere discovers that auto-configuration is
>>> already done (or does not need to be done) once and does not try
>>> a second time?  I am just guessing here.
>> Aha! This is known, an improperly specified GI makes the channel
>> decoder unable to lock!

> GI = guard interval?

> I am not so sure about assumption B any more.  Philip reported that a
> lone card can lock with (I assume) mis-configured channel data and a
> recent tip.  I have just done a test install with a lone card,
> mis-configured channel data, a recent kernel, but no tip and it could
> not lock.

   I tried that last night and had a look. It seems that myth 0.20,
on the machine it worked on, autodetected the guard interval value
to 1/16. Whilst kaxtv and the dvb-utils scan program both used
configuration files with a 1/8 guard interval I am wondering if
somehow if I ran mythtv as the first thing to tune the channel
it somehow locked it in for that uptime.

   I've now got 7 working on the box with 2 other cards although
SBS is giving me grief. (Locks always, but sometimes times out
on working out the streams).