[linux-dvb] No frontend with new driver dib0700

Nicolas George nicolas.george at ens.fr
Tue Sep 19 20:58:54 CEST 2006

Hi.

With some help from the IRC channel, I was able to download and compile the
new dib0700 driver in order to use a new-version Hauppauge Nova-T Stick
(USB IDs 2040:7050).

Now, when I plug the device, the kernel tells me:

dib0700: loaded with support for 2 different device-types
dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T Stick' in cold state, will try to load a firmware
dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-01.fw'
dib0700: firmware started successfully.
dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T Stick' in warm state.
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge Nova-T Stick).
dvb-usb: no frontend was attached by 'Hauppauge Nova-T Stick'
dvb-usb: Hauppauge Nova-T Stick successfully initialized and connected.

And I get a /dev/dvb/adapter0 directory with:

crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 4 Sep 19 20:47 demux0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 5 Sep 19 20:47 dvr0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 212, 7 Sep 19 20:47 net0

The point that bothers me is the lack of the frontend0 device, which seems to
be required by most tools. It is obviously related to the "no frontend was
attached by 'Hauppauge Nova-T Stick'" message.

In dvb-usb/dib0700_devices.c, in the function stk7700p_frontend_attach, I
see a call to dib7000m_attach that is commented out.

Is this a normal situation, and should I try to convince userland tools they
do not need frontend0? Or is there indeed a problem?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George