[linux-dvb] V4L vs DVB

Steven Toth stoth at hauppauge.com
Wed Sep 20 17:07:31 CEST 2006

>> "Assuming a decent tuner lock", your basic assumption is true
>> but the subject runs much deeper than that.
>>

> Always, but at last my basic understanding appears to be correct. Can a V4L device provide MPEG streams like a DVB device? How does it provide EPG type info?

It has support for MPEG2 hardware encoders (typically the cx23416) which
is found on many products. It doesn't support EPG or data services in
the way that the DVB API does.

Many products now have both analog (v4l) and digital (dvb) capabilities.
In this case, that usually means making changes to the DVB project and
the V4L project. Many of the project members watch both mailing lists.
The source code for both projects was recently merged ans is now
considered the v4l-dvb tree (found at www.linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb).

It's typical to discuss DVB/ATSC development issues here, and analog tv
or encoder issues on the v4l mailing list.
>> Which product are you planning to work on? Which components?
>> Perhaps someone is already working on it, or we already have
>> drivers for parts of it.
>>

> It's unbranded but carries a product code of
>     "VS-DVBT 355U"
>
> Upon plugging the device, lsusb reports the device as
>     "Bus 1 Device 6: ID eb1a:e357 eMPIA Technology, Inc."
>
> I've recently discovered that it contains a eMPIA 2870 device. As for any others I'll discover tonight when I get home from work and open it up ...

You should probably raise this question on the v4l mailing list, someone
else may already be working on support.

Steve