[linux-dvb] documentation for tuner / frontend drivers

MikeW mw_phil at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 6 19:06:07 CEST 2007

Michael Krufky <mkrufky <at> linuxtv.org> writes:

> MikeW wrote:
>> Thanks Michael.
>>
>> I for one would very much appreciate a document detailing the
>> implementation requirements for new drivers, and the necessary
>> interconnections between tuner/demod/demux modules.
>>
>> The existing codebase has apparent
 duplication, redundancies and
>> maybe obsolete/deprecated bits
 that make a 'clean sheet' implementation
>> difficult to realise from a
 reverse-engineered view of existing drivers.

>> Such a canonical driver doc would also help
 new drivers to better conform
>> to standards thus easing maintenance
 and upgrades and assisting code reuse.

> MikeW,
>
> In the future, please create a new
 thread if you plan to change the nature of
> the discussion.  I have changed
 the subject of this email accordingly.

> I'll think about writing such a
 document after the refactoring process is
> complete.  However, I really
 don't think such a document is necessary.  The
> dvb_frontend internal API
 is rather self-explanatory.  Please see dvb_frontend.h

> Regards,
>
> Mike

On the contrary, the overall organisation (not the API) is hard to follow.

Demodulator and tuner functionalities are intertwined, and
there seems no clear 'top-down' step-by-step process for
adding a new component of whichever type.

Since you were refactoring (and presumably simplifying), it seemed
likely that you had an overview of the entire framework
that others might benefit from seeing documented

Best regards,
MikeW