[linux-dvb] DiB0700 firmware - next try

Aidan Thornton makosoft at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 22 18:35:56 CEST 2007

On 9/22/07, Simon Kenyon <simon at koala.ie> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 14:59 +0200, Markus Rechberger wrote:
> > On 9/22/07, Aidan Thornton <makosoft at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > I have to warn you, however, that the Linux driver for these devices
> > > hasn't been merged into the kernel and it's far from clear that it
> > > ever will be. (All the usual caveats of a non-merged driver apply -
> > > you have to recompile it manually every time you upgrade your kernel,
> > > you're reliant on the driver author to update it every time the kernel
> > > API changes, etc.)
> > >

> > It's none of linuxtv's business anymore so I don't see a problem
>
> what about the situation wheer i have a couple of PVR-350's and two
> DVB-S tuners which are supported by v4l-dvb and would like to use your
> driver as well. that does not work (as far as i can see) as the two
> systems are incompatible.
> --
> simon

Ah yes, the other caveat. Unless you're using the userspace driver
(and I don't think it's finished yet), using other recent drivers at
the same time is nearly impossible. Older hardware should still work,
but there are changes to the core code so it isn't guaranteed. (For
em28xx-based hardware there's also my
http://www.makomk.com/hg/v4l-dvb-makomk/ branch. It's messy,
experimental and may not work with anything other than the device I'm
using but is much easier to merge with other branches and doesn't
tinker with the core v4l-dvb code.)

Aidan