[linux-dvb] Pinnacle 80e support: not going to happen...

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 00:10:04 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:55 PM, Devin Heitmueller
<devin.heitmueller at gmail.com> wrote:
> For those of you waiting for Linux support for the Pinnacle 80e, I
> have some bad news:  it's not going to happen.
>
> After investing over 100 hours doing the driver work, adding support
> for the Empia em2874, integrating with the Linux tda18271 driver,
> incorporating the Micronas drx reference driver source, and doing all
> the testing, Micronas has effectively killed the project.  They
> decided that their intellectual property was too valuable to make
> available their reference driver code in source code form.  Even
> worse, because I've seen the sources I am effectively prevented from
> writing any sort of reverse engineered driver for the drx-j.

Not so fast, even though I wasn't involved at knocking this down.
We have a custom player now which is capable of directly interfacing the
I2C chips from those devices. Another feature is that it supports all the
features of those devices, there won't be any need of different applications
anymore. There's also the thought about publishing an SDK, most applications
have problems of detecting all corresponding devicenodes which are required
for those devices anyway. i2c-dev is an already available and accepted
kernel interface
to userland just as usbfs is.

best regards,
Markus Rechberger