[linux-dvb] cx88 (Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus DVB-S) occasionally skips, kaffeine says: EIT (0:0): buffer overflow! Rejected

Hartmut Niemann Hartmut.Niemann at gmx.de
Thu Dec 25 09:41:48 CET 2008

Hello!
With debian stable (kernel 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1-686 #1 SMP) on AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+,
MSI KT4AV (VIA KT400)
my Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus DVB-S does not work well.
When I record DVB-S with kaffeine (0.8.3), it loses parts of the stream and spits out
  EIT (0:0): buffer overflow! Rejected
  Stop parsing EIT (0:0)
(about 60 times during a  1,5 h recording)
and now and then a few seconds of the film seem to be missing.

It doesn't crash, though.

The same seems to happen when viewing.

I believe this is a regression, because when I set up the system some time ago,
it worked far better than now.

Is this a known problem?
Would a dist upgrade to debian testing help?

I can't believe that my system is too slow for recording (on an
otherwise idle X desktop / KDE).

With best regards
Hartmut Niemann