[linux-dvb] Pinnacle 800i driver problems

Muppet Man muppetman4662 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 04:06:47 CET 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Chaogui Zhang <czhang1974 at gmail.com>
To: Muppet Man <muppetman4662 at yahoo.com>
Cc: linux-dvb at linuxtv.org
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 8:50:42 PM
Subject: Re: [linux-dvb] Pinnacle 800i driver problems

On Jan 25, 2008 6:52 PM, Muppet Man <muppetman4662 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
 You
> [...]
> > your cx88-alsa grabs the index 0 for your sound cards. In that
 case,
> > use module options to force the cx88-alsa to index 1 or 2 as
 needed.
> > Index 0 should be reserved for your main sound card so your normal
> > software can use /dev/dsp (which they always default to).
> >
> > --
> > Chaogui Zhang
> >
> > Ok, I know I am really close now, but I am still having trouble.
> >
> > Here's what I did, and what I am getting.  I extracted the xc5000
 file,
> > moved it over to /lib/firmware, then I downloaded the lastest
 v4l-dvb,
> sudo
> > make, sudo make install, and rebooted.  My system came right back
 online.
> > have sound and a network connection.  I went to mythtv back end,
 and my
> card
> > was already selected, but when I go to scan channels, I get an
 error.   I

> For people to be able to help you most effectively, next time when
> something goes wrong or errors happen, be sure to include *details*
 of
> the errors, such as exactly what happened and what was the error
> message etc. If you don't provide such details, we would have to ask
> you to try to reproduce the error and report back, which obviously
> delays the process.
>
> Also, when it is related to kernel drivers, it is almost always a
 good
> idea to run "dmesg" and look at what relevant error or warning
> messages might be in there. If so, post that when you ask for help on
> the list.
>
> So, I am really not sure what might have gone wrong at this point.
> Please post more details of the errors that you are seeing (for each
> tests you performed). Also, post the full dmesg output. I suggest you
> paste the dmesg output to pastebin.com and just send the link
> generated by pastebin.com to the list, because the dmesg output tend
> to be very long and I really want to see the FULL dmesg output (after
> the errors have occurred. Don't do dmesg before the errors, since
 that
> won't tell us anything about the error.)
>
> > started tvtime, went to scan for channels, nothing.  I started
 kaffeine,
> and
> > again, my card was there, but I cannot scan for channels.  I know I
 am so
> > close, but I don't know what to do from here.
> > On the plus side though, I am truly thankful for all the assistance
 from
> > Chaogui and Steve.
> > Thanks again.
>
> You are welcome.
>
> Ok, here's my results from 'cat/proc/sound/card'
>
> ed at ed-desktop:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [Live           ]: EMU10K1 - SBLive! Value [SB0101]
 serial:0x80691102) at
> 0xb000, irq 20
>
>  1 [CX8801         ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8801
>                       Conexant CX8801 at 0xe7000000
>  2 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
>                       VIA 8237 with ALC655 at 0xe800, irq 21
>
> Here is the link from pastebin.
> http://pastebin.com/m4bb6cf59
> This link is for testing with tvtime.  The error i got was no signal.
> Thanks again,
> Ed

Everything seems fine in the dmesg output. When you run tvtime and get
"no signal", which input were you on? Was it "Television", "Composite"
or "S-Video"? If you are trying to tune to an analog channel, make
sure you are on "Television". You can change the input source by
pressing "i" on your keyboard when the tvtime window is active (the
on-screen display will show which input source it is on for a few
seconds). When you are in "Television", tune to a channel that you are
sure you have signal on by typing in the channel number and press
enter.

The sound would not work in tvtime unless you do "arecord -D hw:1,0 -f
dat | aplay" in another terminal (and keep it running there) before
running tvtime. This way you will get audio, but it will be out of
sync with the video, but it will at least tell you the card is
working. Then you can move onto other software that can handle the
audio better.

Ok, I did the arecord -D hw:1,0 -f dat | aplay in a fresh terminal, and then ran TVtime.  I could get sound out if I had the source on composite.  I still got no video on Television.  I know the card is working, now I just have to figure out how to get it working in something different than tvtime.
Thanks again.
Ed

--
Chaogui Zhang