[linux-dvb] hvr-1300 analog audio question

marcin kowalski yoshi314 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 07:20:44 CEST 2008

On 01:57 Tue 01 Jul     , hermann pitton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Montag, den 30.06.2008, 10:24 +0100 schrieb Simon Farnsworth:
> > yoshi watanabe wrote:
> > > hello.
> > >
> > > i'm using hauppauge hvr-1300 to receive video signal from playstation2
> > > console, pal model. video is just fine, but i'm having strange audio
> > > issues, but judging by some searching i did - that's pretty common
> > > with this card , although people have varied experience with the card.
> > >

> > I've had similar issues with SAA7134 based cards, which were resolved by
> >   changing audio parameters.
> >
> > If your problem is the same as mine was, try:
> > arecord --format=S16 \
> >          --rate=32000 \
> >          --period-size=8192 \
> >          --buffer-size=524288 | aplay
> >
> > This forces 32kHz sampling, and gives the card lots of buffer space to
> > play with.
>
> 32kHz is true for saa713x TV audio dma sampling, saa7130 has no support
> at all for it.
>
> But 48Khz is default on cx88 stuff.
>
> Cheers,
> Hermann

i guess that means i'm back to square one. it's pretty strange that noise gets more intense when
there is more movement in the video (more dynamic scenes = much more noise). but that doesn't mean that when there is
static screen displayed it works perfectly. it's more random than that.

i wonder whether mpeg encoder might be interfering with the audio signal (audio in mpeg stream is always perfectly
clear). maybe i should try to disable it (by removing the firmware from /lib/firmware, or the module from the kernel) ?

i guess i'll have to check around the branches, maybe somebody has some interesting patches that didn't make it into
main v4l-dvb tree yet.

anyway, thanks for your help.