[linux-dvb] KNC1 DVB-C (MK3) w/ CI causes i2c_timeouts

Matthias Dahl mldvb at mortal-soul.de
Thu May 8 19:29:15 CEST 2008


Hi Andy.

Sorry for the delay but I was having some hw trouble and other things kept me 
quite busy as well (studies).

On Sunday 04 May 2008 02:43:58 you wrote:

> Maybe.  Given the lspci output, you may have two separate problem, that
> are now making things noticable.

Well I fixed the issue with the vt switch not working right after a cold 
start. I updated the motherboard's bios to its latest revision (after which 
it was basically brain-dead but that's a different story and fixed now -g-) 
and the issue is gone for good. Strange as it may seem...

> > The power supply should be more than enough with its 500W. ;-)
> >
> :)

Somehow I feel the need to explain myself. -g- My old power supply gave up on 
me on a saturday some time last year and I really needed to get the computer 
up and running again as soon as possible, so I ended up with this 500W giant 
which was all I could get (besides the usual no-name stuff) in my city.

> That means the bridge is unhappy, and it could very well be something behind
> it, like the DVB card. 

I tested it with the old card- it's the same there: the PCI bridge reports the 
error condition after a cold start and those are gone after a simple reboot.

The error from the memory controller seems strange but I doubt its really an 
issue. The memory works just fine and I also tested both dimms seperately. It 
also happens without the dvb card. Besides I find it strange that I get 6 
memory controllers and one unnumbered one reported. Something can't be right 
with that data, can it?

> The prefetchable addr limit upper 32 bits differ
> on the PCI Bridge that the DVB card is behind.
> Also no SERR is reported by this bridge any longer.

What's responsible for setting the appropriate value? Maybe that's a clue.

One other thing. Is the tda10023 module reporting the real BER and UNC values? 
The reason I ask is with the new card I get a constant BER and UNC of 0 with 
QAM256 modulated channels even though there are still artefacts due to 
transmission errors. On the other hand, if those values are correct maybe the 
stream gets corrupted due to some other issues.

BTW I have increased the card's latency to 64. So far I haven't had any of 
those timeouts but I will have to do some more testing this weekend to see if 
it's really fixed. I actually hoped those timeouts were causing the stream 
corruptions... well... can't be because I had those issues today and no 
timeouts.

If you have any other ideas what I could try to get to the bottom of this, 
please let me know. Thanks a lot in advance...!

Have a nice weekend,
matthew.

PS. I have attached some more lspci output.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: lspci_with_newcard-afterreboot.zip
Type: application/x-zip
Size: 3993 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/attachments/20080508/ec47576b/attachment-0006.bin 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: lspci_with_oldcard-afterreboot.zip
Type: application/x-zip
Size: 4000 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/attachments/20080508/ec47576b/attachment-0007.bin 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: lspci_without_card-afterreboot.zip
Type: application/x-zip
Size: 3867 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/attachments/20080508/ec47576b/attachment-0008.bin 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: lspci_with_oldcard-freshstart.zip
Type: application/x-zip
Size: 3997 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/attachments/20080508/ec47576b/attachment-0009.bin 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: lspci_with_newcard-freshstart.zip
Type: application/x-zip
Size: 3990 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/attachments/20080508/ec47576b/attachment-0010.bin 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: lspci_without_card-freshstart.zip
Type: application/x-zip
Size: 3870 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/attachments/20080508/ec47576b/attachment-0011.bin 


More information about the linux-dvb mailing list