[linux-dvb] DVB-T South Africa

Rogan Dawes lists at dawes.za.net
Mon May 12 13:21:39 CEST 2008

Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> Hi Rogan,
>
> your dvbtraffic output raises a question: What happens when you run it
> for several seconds ?
>
> Are the PIDs always the same? Especially the one with the higher bitrate?
>
> I'm asking because if that is the case, it could be that this is a DVB-H
> transmission.
>
> I have some tools (which I did not commit yet) which "scan", in a very
> basic way, for DVB-H services, maybe this could help you.
>
> Before that you can try to use dvbsnoop on PID 0x00 and 0x10 to see
> whether it signals a INT-section.
>
> I could also be a pure radio transmission, but in that case scan should
> detect those channels.
>
> Patrick.

Hi Patrick,

Actually, I think you may well be right. Our cell networks are trialling
(or even deploying) DVB-H, and the content is provided by MultiChoice.
Unfortunately (for me) that content is almost definitely encrypted.

I guess I might have to retry w_scan to see if it picks up any other
frequencies that might have the real DVB-T signals on them. And maybe
improve my antennae - I am currently using a Technisat DigiFlex TT2,
which is just sitting on my desk.

I am attaching the results of "dvbsnoop -s pidscan", as well as a longer
capture of dvbtraffic (using "dvbtraffic | tee dvbtraffic.txt", then
Ctrl-C after 6-7 seconds).

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Rogan