[linux-dvb] Hardware pid filters: are they worth it?

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 18:43:16 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Michael Krufky <mkrufky at linuxtv.org> wrote:
> With the powerful systems around in this day & age, the gain of using
> hardware PID filters is hardly noticeable.
>
> Then again, you like to tweak things to the ultimate flexibility, and
> this is a good case for tweaking.

While that's generally true, with limited resources my time might be
better spent finishing the work getting xc5000 tuning time down from
3200ms to 300.  :-)

> While a system with a single usb2 stick will not be taxed at all by
> software PID filtering, there might be a slight performance
> enhancement in a system with 7 or 8 usb2 sticks using hardware PID
> filters rather than software.
>
> On the other hand, a device with hardware PID filters can be used on a
> USB1.1 port, which would normally not provide enough bandwidth for
> full transport using software filtering.
>
> So yes, there is a gain in using hardware PID filters, but 90% of the
> users would never notice the difference.

This is entirely consistent with what I thought.  Figured there was no
harm in soliciting opinions of others though.

Cheers,

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller