[linux-dvb] Why doesn't dmesg tell me my Nova-TD USB has an IR receiver?

petercarm linuxtv at hotair.fastmail.co.uk
Tue Oct 7 01:04:12 CEST 2008

I've been pretty successful in getting the stable drivers to run my
Hauppauge Nova-TD USB stick.  The build is a minimal boot-from-flash/PXE
Gentoo MythTV image that I have brewed up myself, running on a VIA Epia
SP motherboard.

Kernel is 2.6.25-r7.

I've got both tuners working well simultaneously.  The only thing is
that dmesg is not reporting the presence of any sort of IR receiver.
The unit came in a retail box with a remote control.

What dependencies does the IR receiver element of the Hauppauge stick
have on the kernel?  All my web searches for problems with IR from this
card always start with dmesg saying:

[...]
input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /class/input/...
[...]

This is exactly what I'm not getting.