[linux-dvb] Merging V4L, DVB and Maintainers Mailing lists at VGER - Was: Re: Announcement: wiki merger and some loose ends

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at infradead.org
Fri Jan 2 04:13:19 CET 2009

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:21:52 +0100
Johannes Stezenbach <js at linuxtv.org> wrote:

> (about merging the linux-dvb and video4linux-list)
>
> Maybe it would be a good idea to create a new
> list on vger.kernel.org which assimilates
> linux-dvb, video4linux-list and v4l-dvb-maintainer.
> vger.kernel.org has outstanding spam filters so their
> lists generally allow postings from non-subscribers.
>
> How about just creating such a list as a replacement
> for v4l-dvb-maintainer, and then see if linux-dvb
> and video4linux-list users accept it and move
> their discussions over?

The idea of merging the mailing lists is running around for some time.

It took some time for me to have time to address this issue, but it finally
happened. We've just created it as:
	linux-media at vger.kernel.org

The idea is to replace the v4l-dvb-maintainer mailing list by
linux-media at vger.kernel.org, being the main point for both V4L and DVB
development.

One of the advantages is that vger anti-spam filters are very efficient, and we
can have the mailing list opened to bug reports from non-subscribers without
the risk of receiving lots of trash.

Also, almost all other kernel development mailing lists are there.

We'll probably integrate the mailing list soon with the newly-created
patchwork.kernel.org. Patchwork is a tool that allows the developers to do a
better job of handling patches without the risk of having patches lost
somewhere.

I'll later put an announcement after having the tool integrated with
linux-media at vger.kernel.org.

For now, I kindly want to invite you all, and specially the developers to
subscribe linux-media at vger.kernel.org.

To subscribe, just send an email to:

majordomo at vger.kernel.org

With the body containing: