[linux-dvb] em28xx frontend does not attach

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at infradead.org
Fri Jan 2 17:10:42 CET 2009

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 14:09:00 +0100
Elio Voci <elio.voci at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
> I have recently upgraded my Debian Lenny from kernel 2.6.25 to 2.6.26.
> After this, I couldn't use my Cinergy Hybrid T USB XS (0ccd:0042).
> Up to now I used the mcentral.de driver, now I would like to switch to
> linuxtv driver.
> Following the wiki "How to install DVB device drivers, and "How to build
> drivers from Mercurial", I have cloned v4l-dvb. Make and install ran
> smoothly.
> I have generated the firmware from
> http://www.steventoth.net/linux/xc5000/HVR-12x0-14x0-17x0_1_25_25271_WHQL.zip, Driver85/hcw85bda.sys
> em28xx installed correctly, dvb frontend did not: zl10353_read_register
> returned -19
> Below the relevant dmesg section (em28xx modprobed with core_debug=1

It is probably not that complicated for you to fix the Cinergy Hybrid entry at

You'll need to use usbsnoop tool to capture what the original driver is doing

After that, you can parse the log and fix the initialization values for
GPIO and GPO registers. You can also load em28xx with reg_dump=1 and parse the
dmesg output with the em28xx parser, comparing to what the windows driver did.

[1] http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Bus_snooping/sniffing#Snooping_Procedures: