[linux-dvb] DVB-S Channel searching problem

Alex Betis alex.betis at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 19:58:45 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Roman Jarosz <roman.jarosz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 18:28:03 +0100, Alex Betis <alex.betis at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Roman Jarosz <roman.jarosz at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have a problem with DVB-S channel searching, the scan command doesn't
> >> find all channels in Linux on Astra 19.2E.
> >> It works in Windows.
> >>
> > Please specify what driver you use, what scan application, what is the
> > command line you gave to the scan application, what is the frequency file
> > you've used for scan application, what is the result of the scan you
> > have.
> >
> > Than maybe I can help somehow.
>
> I use scan from dvb-apps, the command is
> "scan -o vdr /root/dvb/Astra-19.2E > /etc/vdr/channels.conf"
> where /root/dvb/Astra-19.2E is file with "S 11567500 V 22000000 5/6"

I think that's the main issue. *BOUWSMA w*rote that its ok to rely on
astra's maintainers and connect to any transponder is enough to get a list
of all others. I personaly don't trust those maintainers since I saw too
many errors in NIT messages that specify the transponder, so I specify all
the frequencies I want to scan. I don't have a dish to 19.2, but there were
many errors with 5 other satellites I have.
You can get a list of those frequencies here:
http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.html

> I use cx88-dvb driver but many modules are loaded with it see
> http://kedge.wz.cz/dvb/lsmod.txt

I meant to ask what is the origin of the driver. I use Igor's driver from:
http://mercurial.intuxication.org/hg/s2-liplianin/

If you have a S2API driver (or will use Igor's driver), you can use my
scan-s2 application with many changes in NIT parsing that might resolve your
issue.
http://mercurial.intuxication.org/hg/scan-s2/

> Scan console output is in file http://kedge.wz.cz/dvb/channels.conf
> and the result in http://kedge.wz.cz/dvb/channels.conf

You've posted the same link for both outputs. Please post console output
when you run scan with "-v" parameter. Maybe even with "-vv".

> When console shows
> __tune_to_transponder:1508: ERROR: Setting frontend parameters failed: 22
> Invalid argument
>
> the dmesg prints
> DVB: adapter 0 frontend 0 frequency 8175750 out of range (950000..2150000)

It could be anything. Bad NIT message (most probably) or a memory smashing
in scan application.