[linux-dvb] Tuning probs qt1010/AF9005/Linux + XP driver for AF9005 qt1010

Evan Nando nando4eva at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 15:29:39 CET 2009

Hi everyone,

I have the qt1010 based AF9005 and find it has VERY unreliable tuning in
Linux. It just fails to lock onto channels, even after it has successfully
scanned them The problem does not exist at all in WindowsXP using BlazeDVT.
What I've discovered is the *XP driver* supplied on CD with the AF9005 usb
stick works very well with it, whereas other drivers I've downloaded from
the afatech website give poor tuning (giving less bars in Signal Strength).

I did note on the LinuxTV/dvb-tv forums that others were having the same
problem, probably because of the qt1010 tuning (very choppy in Linux, fine
in Windows). There are no tweaks available as per the mt2060.

The driver that works very well with XP has been uploaded to
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LU1E55EN (716kb)

Would anyone be willing to extract the firmware from it for use in Linux?
This would be specific qt1010 firmware. I've tried using usbsnoop and
various filters to try to replay the USB sequence and have not gotten
anywhere.

Any other tips on Linux qt1010/AF9005 tuning would be much appreciated. I am
hopeful the qt1010 specific firmware will give better results with Linux.
Would not need to boot into XP anymore to watch TV:)

Setup is: 2.6.27 kernel at the moment and tried both af9005.fw files
available from http://ventoso.org/luca/af9005/.. if that helps.

Best regards,
Nando