[linux-dvb] OnAir creator seems to be recognized, but what device is what?

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Mon Jan 12 04:50:21 CET 2009

Hello again,

I've been trying to make the OnAir creator work.  So far it hasn't been
easy but I'm making some progress.  Pvrusb2 told me in the log file that
a firmware file was missing, so I went looking for it by name.  After
a convoluted procedure extracting windows-centric files and renaming the
proper one to v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw I put it in /lib/modules and did away with
the missing firware message.  Dvbusb2 seems to recognize the device ok.
In fact it seems to create

/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0
/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
/dev/dvb/adapter0/net0

And I also see /dev/video0

But what do those devices represent?  Is /dev/video0 the analog tuner?
is /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 the digital tuner?  What are the others?
I have been trying to configure mythtv but have no idea what to tell it
about this device.  The mythtv docs say that if you  have a card with 2
tuners, define it as a DVB.  But, mythtv-setup identifies it correcly
(by name) as an analog card /dev/video0, if I set it up as a DVB it claims
it is a DVICO or Air2PC or...  It does not seem to know about the /dev/dvb
devices.  Do I need to configure the OnAir Creator as 1 or 2 devices?

Can someone tell me a quick and easy way to test the device? maybe with
mplayer?  I have an analog camera connected to the composite input, so
even if I don't get any channels with the rabbit ears and loop antenna,
that should work as a test.

I have posted the higher level questions to the mythtv mailing list, but
no answers yet.  Any hints would be welcome.

A.