[linux-dvb] Technotrend Budget S2-3200 Digital artefacts on HDchannels

Alex Betis alex.betis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 23:02:04 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu at gmail.com>wrote:

> Alex Betis wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu at gmail.com
> >wrote:

> >> happen

> its
> >> The first time i saw it was that the DVB-S2 demod was returning no
> >> carrier. After some time it was stating timing error for DVB-S as
> >> well. Finally it all ended up with demodulator I2C ACK failure, and
> >> eventually a frozen machine after a week (my test boxes run throughout)
> >>
> >> Touching the demodulator, i happened to have almost a burned finger.
> >> I wanted to know whether this was a single case. During the
> >> development phase, i did mention it to Julian about this, since he
> >> was the very first person to test for the stb0899 driver. He
> >> jovially laughed about a burned demodulator and a finger, left his
> >> machine on after i did some tests on it. Eventually he too had the
> >> same results. Finally we changed cards.
> >
> > What frequency did you use to burn it?
>

> It was a long time back, don't remember. It has nothing to do with
> the frequency of the transponder, but just the master clock. You can
> run it to a maximum of 108Mhz overclocked, 99Mhz to be safe and
> sufficient.
>

> > I didn't see anyone here on the list that reported a hardware failure so
> > far.
>
> May god help you. I didn't know that you knew more than the
> demodulator manufacturer !

Please speak for yourself, I never said I know more than a manufacturer.
I wrote a fact.
Intel also rate their chips and everybody overclocks them to crazy ratings.

> > By the way, Igor returned the chip frequency for 27.5 channels to 99MHz
> and
> > raised it a bit for higher SR channels, so there is no danger for
> majority
> > of the users.
>
> Ok, be happy with his change and keep quiet. 135Mhz is out of bounds
> of the hardware specification. You are on your own. Raising the
> master clock, doesn't bring you any advantage.

Did someone overclock you as well?
Chill out!
It would be better if you'll be more productive instead of quieting people
who try to help.

Again, I'm commenting facts. As I saw from the reports the overclock seems
to help with the problem.

> From your statement (and the patch), it is clearly evident that you
> don't understand head or tail what you are stating or patched the
> code for:

So be so kind, and add comments to the code you write so everybody could
find its head and tail when trying to fix bugs.
It is clearly evident that you don't really want that someone else will
understand your code.

Again, facts are that the patch help and make the device more stable for
DVB-S channels.

Oh well, I hate that I had to get so low with my message, but that's that
happen when someone try to align with your expressions.
In case you didn't know, you're not alone in the universe, get used to it.