[linux-dvb] Problem with saa7134: Asus Tiger revision 1.0, subsys 1043:4857

Jason Hecker jhecker at wireless.org.au
Sat Mar 12 00:43:41 CET 2011

I just bought a pair of what are a version of the My Cinema 7131 Hybrid
cards.

The kernel reports it as saa7134: Asus Tiger revision 1.0, subsys 1043:4857

I did inititially try Mythbuntu 10.04 but the firmware upload seemed to fail
fairly consistently.  Restarting with v10.10 the firmware loads but I can't
seem to scan the channels with Mythbackend - it has a 0% signal and 100%
signal to noise.  I am using MythTV 0.24 with Avenard's latest patches.

This version of the card has written on the silkscreen Tiger rev 3.02, a
sticker that says Tiger_8M AA.F7.C0.01 (which would appear to be the latest
firmware for this card on Asus's support site) but there is only one RF
connector on CON1.  CON2 is not fitted nor is the IR receiver.  Now I saw
mentioned on a list that to get DVB working on this card in Linux you need
to connect the TV antenna to the FM port, which I suspect is the one not
fitted.  The latest Windows drivers for this card is circa 2009.

Two questions:
- Is there some sort of SAA7134 module argument I need to use to get the
card working on the TV RF input?
- Why does the kernel show the firmware is being reloaded every time MythTV
seems to want to talk to the card?  This slows down access as it seems to
take about 30 seconds for the firmware to install each time.

I am happy to provide whatever debug dumps or more info if need be.