[vdr] VDR automatic channel update and recording annoyance.

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sun Apr 3 20:37:28 CEST 2005

Antti Hartikainen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> VDR:s automatic channel update while recording is very annoying and it's
> breaking few seconds of the recording.
>
> Some channels (like YLE in Finland) changes audio language for example
> from "fin" to "eng" when program starts. VDR detects there is change in
> channel information, stops recording, retunes to channel and starts
> recording again.
>
> This way there is always missing few seconds from the start of the
> recording. But on the other hand, this feature is a must. I like new
> channels to be added and information changed.
>
> But retuning on such minor issue (and breaking recording) is bad.
>
> And if there is audio pid added when program starts (ie. AC3 or second
> mp2) couldn't vdr add it to stream "on the fly" and not cutting recording?

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it: it's the broadcasters' fault!
The PIDs must be set correctly _before_ a broadcast starts!

Of course you could change cChannel::SetPids() so that it doesn't set
the CHANNELMOD_PIDS flag in case only the language codes are changed.
However, this won't help in case of a change in PIDs during a broadcast,
but then again this is a sign of bad broadcaster quality, and that they don't
care about their viewers.

Klaus